Do you hate going out to a restaurant on Valentine’s Day? Well, you’re not alone. If you wait too long and miss out on a reservation, you could be stuck celebrating by standing in a crowded line and your favorite digs. Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE a great meal and we have plenty of amazing restaurants to choose from (see our Vail Valley Local Valentine Series 1 – Best Romantic Restaurants in the Vail Valley). But some of us just want to be out and about and active on Valentine’s Day. To each their own!
Here are a few ideas to help you celebrate the ones you love… sans restaurant.
- Go Ice Skating. Pack some hot chocolate in a thermos and head to your local rink. A few great (romantic) spots in the Vail Valley are: Vail Solaris, Beaver Creek Village, Nottingham Lake in Avon, Town Park in Eagle. Dress warm and us it as an excuse to cuddle up when you’re done!
- Snow Shoe. The moon will be big this year on Valentine’s Day. Head out for a moonlit snow shoe on you favorite trail. A few of our favorites: Lake Creek south of Edwards, Beaver Creek Strawberry Park trail, Arrowhead Snow Shoe Trail, Vail Mountain, Meadow Mountain in Minturn. Again, another reason to dress warm and cozy up when you’re done!
- Fireworks in Beaver Creek. Valentine’s Day means fireworks, and in Beaver Creek they actually have them. Head up the mountain to watch the show and stroll through the romantic Village after.
- Visit some Hot Springs. Head to Glenwood Springs to Glenwood or Iron Mountain Hot Springs. Two of our favorite spots and super romantic!
- Cinebistro in Vail. Want to treat your sweetie to a movie, then Cinebistro in Vail is the place for Valentine’s Day. Book your tickets in advance and enjoy the big comfy chairs and full bar and eats. Then stroll through the Village after… holding hands, of course!
- Go Bowling. Really, bowling can be romantic, and FUN! And if you don’t have fun with your Valentine, what’s the point!? BOL in Vail Village is great and so is The Back Bowl in Eagle. Do book your lane in advance to make sure you get in!